Multiplication with Decimals and Some Examples
Have you learned how to multiply with decimals yet? Today we are going to review three different cases of multiplication with decimals.
Multiplication with decimals and whole numbers
In this case, we are multiplying a decimal by another number without decimals, as in the example:
- Step 1: We place both numbers so that the longer factor is on the top and the shorter factor is on the bottom.
- Step 2: We solve the multiplication problem as we normally would with whole numbers. Afterward, we count the digits that come after the decimal point in the decimal and we place the decimal point in the answer so that it has the same number of decimal places after it as in the decimal in the factor position.
Multiplication when both factors are decimals
In this case, both factors are decimals:
- Step 1: As in the previous case, the first thing we have to do is to place the numbers so that the longer factor is on the top and the shorter factor is on the bottom.
- Step 2: We solve the multiplication problem as we normally would with whole numbers. Afterward, we count the digits that come after the decimal points in both factors. The answer should have as many decimal places as can be found in both factors combined.
Multiplication with decimals and a whole number ending in zero
In this case, the whole number factor ends in zero.
- Step 1: We break down the number into another number multiplied by 10:
- Step 2: We multiply the decimal by 10 (thereby getting rid of a decimal place).
- Step 3: We place the numbers and now we can multiply a decimal number by a whole number.
Multiplication with decimals is easy, isn’t it?
Have you learned about multiplication with decimals? Feel free to share this post with your friends and colleagues so that they too can learn. And remember that in order to learn these calculations and much more like LCM calculation it is best to sign up on Smartick and try it for free!
- Multiplication with Decimal Numbers
- Learn and Practice How to Divide Decimals
- Working with Decimals: Addition and Subtraction
- How to Multiply by 2 and 3 Digit Numbers
- Multiplying and Dividing Decimal Numbers by Powers of 10
- Scales in Mathematics: What Are They and What Are They Used For? - 01/12/2024
- Mathematical Functions: Do You Know What They Are? - 11/13/2023
- How to Apply the Order of Operations - 10/24/2023