In this post, we are going to learn how to subtract.
First things first, we are going to learn exactly what subtraction is.
Subtraction is taking away a certain amount from another amount that we already have.
Some examples of how to subtract:
If we have 5 purple balls in a box, and we take out 2 of these balls, there are 3 balls left in the box. This is:
5 – 2 = 3
Here’s another example of subtraction: If we have 7 cakes and we eat 1 of them, how many cakes are we left with?
7 – 1 = 6
Now, we’re going to learn how to subtract with our fingers. If we use 9 fingers—5 on one hand and 4 on the other— and we want to subtract 5 fingers, how many fingers are left? We need to hide the 5 fingers on one hand and count the ones that are left on the other. We’re left with 4 fingers. So:
9 – 5 = 4
We hope you liked these elementary subtraction exercises! Share this post with your friends and family or leave a comment!
Check out other posts that teach subtraction:
If you want to learn more math and subtraction problems, try Smartick for free.
- Practice Dividing with and without Remainders
- Learn to Subtract with Remainders
- What Multiplication Is and Multiplication Tables
- Learn to Add Using the Rekenrek
- Review Vertical Subtraction with Examples
- Perimeter: What Is It and How to Find It for Any Polygon - 11/26/2020
- What is a Straight Angle and Examples - 10/30/2020
- Robby’s New Laboratory. What are Variables in Coding? - 10/05/2020