In this post, we are going to talk about the learning experiences that the Singapore curriculum tries to encourage.
Learning experiences that create opportunities
In Singapore, they are very aware that learning mathematics is more than just concepts and procedures. Cognitive abilities, such as metacognitive abilities, are very important and these processes are learned through carefully constructed learning experiences.
For example, to encourage the students to be curious, learning experiences should provide an opportunity to discover mathematical results on their own.
To support the development of abilities such as collaboration and communication, students should have the opportunity to work together on a problem and be able to present their ideas using the appropriate language.
Additionally, to support the development of self-directed learning habits, students should have the opportunity to establish goals and work towards them.
A classroom where these opportunities are encouraged will provide a space to develop these skills that are so important in the 21st century.
Specific and general learning experiences
Learning experiences are proposed in each one of the units described in Singapore’s curriculum. These experiences are centered on the mathematical processes and skills that students should develop in order to master the unit.
The descriptions are specific enough to provide guidance but also give teachers flexibility.
Furthermore, a more general description of learning experiences also exists which centers around the development of good habits and skills such as:
- Taking notes and organizing information in a significant way.
- Practicing basic mathematical skills to improve proficiency.
- Using evaluation comments to improve learning.
- Solving new problems using hands-on resources.
- Discussing, articulating, and explaining ideas to develop reasoning skills.
- Modeling problems.
None of these descriptions are exhaustive, however, they encourage the teachers to build upon them for a more significant and effective learning experience.
- Mathematics Syllabus Primary One to Five. Singapore Ministry of Education.
- Smartick lands in Singapore, a Country with One of the Most Challenging Education Systems in the World.
- Singapore: Goals, Objectives, and Design of Its Curriculum.